Friday, October 31, 2014

Pumpkin Pie


Boo! :) Today is Holloween, so I made last night two different pumpkin pies: a healthy one gluten free and sugar free, and another one with gluten and cane sugar. Actually my pumpkin was a squash... because yesterday afternoon I was in harry and this is what I got from the edge of market. 

The healthy and delicious ingredients I used for the gluten free pumpkin pie recipe are :


- 2 cups of grated pumpkin
- 1 cup walnuts soaked before (time for soaking 4 hours)
- coconut oil (or ghee butter)
- rice papers (you can find them in small Asian groceries, but also in big stores)

For the recipe with gluten and cane sugar, you can see the cane sugar in the picture above. You can use also another sweetener, like xylitol. Instead of rice papers, I used normal pie sheets from wheat flour. 

First step for this recipe: grind the walnuts in a food processor.


Allow the grated pumpkin to drain in a colander or a big strainer. As you can see in the picture below, it remains a lot of juice and you don't want it in your pie, because it will make the pie wet, instead of crispy. 


Put the drained pumpkin in a bowl and add in the grind nuts. Of course, If you and a sweet taste, you can add in cane sugar or xylitol. I forgot to take a picture also with this step because of my neighbors noise who I think were practicing last night the Halloween Boo all over their house...

Now the most difficult step: moisture the rice paper in a recipient with water. One minute each rice paper. Take care handling the wet rice paper, they are very fragile... 


Put one tablespoon of filling in each wet paper rice, grease all over with a brush dipped in melt coconut oil or ghee butter. Here I made a mix of coconut oil and ghee butter, because my coconut oil was finished just yesterday and I added ghee to get the required quantity for my pie.


Wrap the rice paper with the greatest skill you have... Every time I use rice paper, I fill like I am making handicraft... 


Finally place them in a greased glass tray, add in the tray the remaining oil if you have one, and put the tray in a preheated oven, at 160 degrees Celsius, for 20 minutes.

Tip: add 3 - 4 tablespoons with water over the pie, because the rice papers need more moisture.


And this is the pie! The trouble with rice papers, is that the pie will never be very good looking. But the taste and flavor of pumpkin - nuts - coconut oil mix is absolutely divine, so it worth the bother.


And for those who are not going gluten free, you can put the same pumpkin filling in wheat flour sheets, wrap them the same way and bake the pie the same as the gluten free one.



No comments:

Post a Comment